Friday, February 20, 2009

Beautiful Children Post # 2

As I continue to read Beautiful Children characters are focused on more and I am able to make out their own sad stories little by little. Currently I am getting to know Bing a bit more. He is a man seemingly going through the motions of life without really living it. He has no relations with woman what-so-ever, and he doesn't socialize much at all, (with the exception of the on going chat rooms he attends). Although Bing's life seems quite dull from my past descriptions, he has real talent: he is amazingly creative and intelligent. One night Bing is in a chat room with a few friends. As he explains his new genious ideas he types, "BBIXXE: If it has dimension & perspective, it kind of stops being your average tatt" (55). It may be hard to make out at first but after I read this quote I knew it had a double meaing; I believe Charles Bock writes this in attempt to describe who Bing really is as a character. Sure, from the looks of him, Bing looks like the average guy walking down the street who is neither particularly special or important. But when you stop to look at him with perspective and look at who he really is, intelligent, artistic, kind, he begins to have more hidden dimensions.

As Bing continues to venture out I believe he will finally be recognized for his dimension and his life will change for the better. I think he will be respected more and then be able to become more social and really blossom from his isolated personality. During Bing's time in the chatroom his friend under the name of ] KC_FTT_B, writes, "R_naways d_de. Nobody cares abowt r_naways" (61). I believe this quote will forshadow the rest of the novel because how I see it so far, this book is all about runaways. It could be someone running away from their emotions, someone running away from home, or someone running about from life, like Bing.

4 comments:

gwendolyn said...

I find it interesting how modern technological elements of our daily lives have made it into today's literature, like this author's use of chat room conversation as dialogue. I would like to know how this character Bing develops the hidden qualities that are coming into view, and whether the use of online chatting would assist him or hurt him in the author's effort to develop him as a more complex individual.

Monica G said...

Ooh, nice quote there; "Running away from his life". Sounds like a fun book. Anyway, I like how you must be social to be "better". Of course, humans have a psychological need to socialize, and communication is important, but the question is how much is too much? You say Bing seems like the average guy walking down the street... is the average person isolated in their life, and the more they talk to others the better they feel? It's very true on some level, I think. Still, food for thought! (fantastic on a saturday, I know) Good presentation and luck for reading!

Sara M said...

I completely agree with Gwen on the idea of technology being used in literature and the impact it has. Talking in chat rooms or IM-ing someone is much less powerful these days yet still has an impact. I like what we have seen of the clearly complex characters in this book and I am excited to read the other posts and maybe pick up a copy myself!:)

Sara A.'s EE10 Blog said...

Bing sounds like a typical older man nerd. Not socializing except for online-chat rooms really forms a character that will be interesting to follow throughout the book. I wonder if he will become more social as the book continues. I agree with your predictions about Bing.