Thursday, November 13, 2008

Angela's Ashes Blog #1

Frank McCourt's modern memoir, Angela's Ashes, appears to be written as a classic example of immigrant's living in the time of the Great Depression. Frank McCourt, son of Malachy and Angela McCourt writes about his recollections of past experiences and hardships. So far, Frank talks about his family life. His father is still searching for work and his mother is at home taking care of him and his 3 younger brothers. Its rare to find food in the "ice box" and the best form of entertainment Frank can get is one of his father's old tales. Things seem very rough for the family with their lack of money but as of now Francis McCourt seems very content as a three year old boy growing up in Brooklyn, New York City.

Surprisingly, I began reading this book without much interest and now I am quite intrigued. The fact it is based on an Irish based family interests me because I also am very Irish, (hence Delaney Kathryn Sheehan). This book tests my comfort level when leading me to think about what it must be like to live in such a poor economic time. I know it sounds like a cliche but reading Angela's Ashes helps me appreciate the the time period I live in; prosperous, with food and beds to sleep in at night. Maybe I am too young to fully grasp the idea of a life full of suffering and hard work but I can see at one point in this memoir this very idea will hit Francis right between the eyes, and sooner or later in my life, that flying load of (you know what) will hit the fan and be clear to me too.

1 comment:

Monica G said...

It's kind of amazing that Frank's only three when he realizes the lack of food and entertainment. Intelligent boy, though I bet he'll wish he isn't once he realizes the reality of his life sooner rather than later. Still, the Irish background sounds interesting, I agree... I don't know much about the Irish, custom-wise, and it'd be fun to read about. For the living in prosperity thing, that's one of my issues too- I very much want to experience poverty, so I can be thankful and get a feel for the a different life than mine, but on the other hand... I am very happy where I am. And I know that if I started living a less comfortable life I'd soon regret the choice that led me there. So this book sounds like a happy medium-- enjoy!